Wednesday 26 September 2012

'Banned Books Week'

So I heard from a good BC friend (thanks Laura :D) that next week is banned books week. The American Library Association will celebrate “Banned Book Week,” a week dedicated to non-censorship and the anniversary of the freedom to read.

Check out The lists of 'banned' books over the last 10 years here:

http://www.ala.org/advocacy/banned/frequentlychallenged/21stcenturychallenged#2011

What do you think?

I'm quite surprised that some of these books are there.
I mean To Kill a Mockingbird is a book everyone should read. I read it in school when I was about 12, and it has stuck with me ever since and is now one of my all time favourite books.

The Color Purple by Alice Walker is on there too which is another great book.

And come on, twilight and Harry Potter! Why are these on the list?!

I have to say, some of them I haven't read so I can't comment. But this list has given me some incentive to read more of these 'banned' books and see for myself what's going on.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. It's crazy that people have complained about some of these books being in libraries and schools. In addition to the ones you mentioned - why is Of Mice and Men there!? And the Dark Materials books.

    Some of these books explore really important issues, I'd put them on a must-read list, not a banned list!

    I'm interested in reading some of the ones that come up year after year to see what all the fuss is about now too.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your thoughts! Or just say hi!

Sorry about the Capatcha! I hate it too, but too much spam lately!