Thursday 20 September 2012

The Playdate by Louise Millar

I recently read The Playdate by Louise Millar.
I really enjoyed it and found it rather hard to put down. It's the first full book I've read on my new kindle.

This is The synopsis:
Single mother Callie has come to rely heavily on her best friend Suzy. But Callie suspects Suzy's life isn't as simple as it seems. It's time she pulled away - going back to work is just the first step towards rediscovering her old confidence. So why does she keep putting off telling Suzy about her new job? Suzy and Callie live close to each other on a typical cramped, anonymous London street. Neighbours seem to move in, and move on, before you have even learned their names. Callie's increased sense of alienation leads her to try to befriend a new resident on her street, Debs. But Debs is anxious, odd. You wouldn't trust her with your child - especially not if you knew anything about her past. A brilliant and chilling evocation of modern life, The Playdate is a real talking-point book for mothers everywhere.

I honestly thought I had it all worked out, and kept telling my other half I knew what was going to happen. I was wrong, I didn't see it coming!

***SPOILER***

I really thought Debs was going to kidnap Rae. It was the things she was saying like she knew how to stop kids like her from whining. She was a bit crazy though wasn't she bless her! The noises she kept hearing I thought were going to all be in her imagination. But no, it was Suzy!!! I mean, yeah her husband was having an affair with her best friend, but was there any need to kidnap Rae and try to hurt her? Wasn't the kid's fault was it?! I didn't see it coming that Callie was having an affair with Jez, or that Jez was Rae's father. The part where a man walks back into the room and take Callie upstairs, Callie said it wasn't wrong as he is her child's father, which made me think it was Tom. I never for one minute imagined it was Jez.

And Poor Callie, brainwashed by her best mate, trying to get back to work, and having all this stuff happen. Rae being knocked over, back in hospital, then the car crash! That kid has been through some ups and downs hasn't she.

I really really enjoyed this, and will definitely look out for more of Louise Millar's stuff!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts! Or just say hi!

Sorry about the Capatcha! I hate it too, but too much spam lately!