Wednesday 5 September 2012

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King

The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon by Stephen King


This is the third Stephen King book I've read, the first of his 'horror' books.

I actually quite enjoyed it. The first night I sat down with it, I read 29%, then didn't pick it up for a few days. Then read to 74% yesterday, and finished it this morning.

For those of you who haven't read it, here's the synopsis:

On a six-mile hike on the Maine-New Hampshire branch of the Appalachian Trail, nine-year-old Trisha McFarland quickly tires of the constant bickering between her older brother, Pete, and her recently divorced mother. But when she wanders off by herself, and then tries to catch up by attempting a shortcut, she becomes lost in a wilderness maze full of peril and terror.
As night falls, Trisha has only her ingenuity as a defense against the elements, and only her courage and faith to withstand her mounting fears. For solace she tunes her Walkman to broadcasts of Boston Red Sox baseball games and follows the gritty performances of her hero, relief pitcher Tom Gordon. And when her radio's reception begins to fade, Trisha imagines that Tom Gordon is with her -- protecting her from an all-too-real enemy who has left a trail of slaughtered animals and mangled trees in the dense, dark woods....

I loved the way Trisha kept Tom Gordon with her. I felt anyway, that you could really understand just how much she adores him. I thought the woods were pretty well described, and the parts in the marshy woodlands really had me feeling the eeriness of the place. I wasn't sure what I thought the 'thing' was going to be, but I don't think I imagined it the way it ended up being. All in all I thought this was a pretty good book, and a nice easy read for my first SK horror. I'll definitely be reading more of his stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts! Or just say hi!

Sorry about the Capatcha! I hate it too, but too much spam lately!