Thursday 7 March 2013

Guest Author: The fantastic Brook Syers!

Today I have a the brilliantly funny Brook Syers visiting my blog. 

So after throwing him into a chair, and pointing a bright light in his face, he finally gave in and agreed to answer some questions! So I turned off the bright light, and made him a cup of coffee instead, as I was totally bluffing the interrogation thing anyway! I'm a lover not a fighter :)

Comfortable now Brook? Good! Here we go!



Tell us a little about yourself? Perhaps something not many people know?

I’m a crime-fighting CPA during the day and renegade writer at night. Yeah, right. I’m an Audit Manager at a Fortune 500 company and write books in my spare time, which is almost never since I have a 5-year-old son that I want to raise right so he won’t turn out to be a serial killer.


Not many people know that I have a Master’s Degree in Criminology and after seeing The Silence of the Lambs, I wanted to join the FBI, that is until I found at that crime fighting doesn’t pay as much as crime does. Just kidding. I love Texas and didn’t want the government moving me to any of those other 49 states.

What made you want to become a writer?
I’m in it for the money [chuckle, chuckle]. All aspiring writers are laughing right now. But seriously, there are just words inside of me that need to get out. I enjoy making people laugh and you’ll see humour throughout my books. A very serious and dramatic chapter will be followed by a funny one. I think that sets me apart from other writers, or at least I hope so, though I don’t take myself too seriously as a writer.


Do you have any hidden or uncommon talents?
Let’s just say that if I entered a burping contest, I would win hands down.


What gives you inspiration for your book(s)?
I have two series out right now – The Brainiacs and The All-American Family. The Brainiacs tells the stories of some really smart kids that decide to fight back against the bullies in their school. They use technology in different and interesting ways in order to do so.


The All-American Family is like a sitcom written as an ebook. I needed an outlet for my humour (since my wife no longer laughs at my jokes) and I thought: “Why not write a prime-time sitcom as a book and release it in episodes?” Sales have been brisk and they’re only 99 cents each – maybe they should put them on the dollar menu at McDonald’s?

Are your characters based off real people or did they all come entirely from your imagination?
Any author who doesn’t want to be sued will claim that they are entirely from their imagination, but that’s a lie. There are shades of people you’ve met in every character you create. It’s inevitable. I can’t tell you how many of my friends and family members have asked: “Am I in your book?” To which I reply, “yes, you’re on page 137.” It takes them a while to realise that ebooks don’t have page numbers.


Could you tell us a bit about your most recent book and why it is a must-read?
I’m about to release book #3 in The Brainiacs series. It’s titled The Brainiacs vs. The Guard. The protagonist (Theo Phillips) faces his biggest adversary yet: a splinter terrorist group intent on destroying America. The plot is international and the action is nonstop. I’m really proud of it and like to think it shows that I’m growing as a writer.




What do you love most about the writing process?
Writing is a creative outlet, much like painting or making music. I feel sad on days that I don’t have time to write. Creating characters and breathing life into them is an adrenaline rush.



Of all the characters you have created, which is your favourite and why?
I’m going to have to go with Bob Evans from The All-American Family series. He’s a dorky dad that has a kind heart but finds it very difficult to relate to his kids. That and he feels trapped by the American Dream, much like the rest of us.



What is the biggest surprise that you experienced after becoming a writer?
I would say the marketing aspect of it. Writing books is hard enough, but marketing them, and yourself, was something I wasn’t really prepared for. There are so many different marketing methods that it’s sometimes overwhelming, however if you put a lot of effort in creating the best product, I’ve found that to be the best marketing method available.



Do you have a day job in addition to being a writer? If so, what do you do during the day?
I’m an auditor during the day and as you can imagine, most people aren’t happy to see me. In fact, most people go out of their way to avoid me in the hall. I’ve gotten used to it over the years. But auditors are people too – and in my case, I actually like people, which is rare for an accountant.


Tell us a little about your plans for the future. Where do you see yourself as a writer in five years? Do you have any other books in the works?
I’m experimenting with my first nonfiction book where I offer life lessons from really crazy stories in the press. My favourite so far is the guy who outsourced his own job to China. I think it will end up being a tongue-in-cheek self-help book that all Americans will identify with.


Who knows where I’ll be in five years? I just want to get through today alive.


And now, just some little random questions!

Favourite TV show?
The Walking Dead. When the zombies come, I’ll be prepared from the lessons I’ve learned from this show.


Favourite movie?
It’s a tie between Old School and Wedding Crashers.


Favourite city?
Austin, Tx.


Favourite food?
Chocolate-dipped cheesecake on a stick from the Houston Rodeo.


Favourite book?
Catch Me If You Can.


To conclude, is there anything you would like to say to your readers?
Well Dee, as the #1 fan of my All-American Family series, I want to say thank you for your support! Seriously, just knowing that someone out there felt compelled enough to contact me and request an interview makes all my writing efforts worth it. To my other 5 fans, I love you y’all too!



You are very welcome Brook! I love your All American Family series (which everyone must read by the way!), and really must get on with your Braniac series too! 

And thank you so much for coming over and taking the time to chat :) Must do it again sometime!

Where can you find you online?

Blog: http://www.brooksyers.blogspot.com/
Website: http://www.brooksyers.blogspot.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/brooksyersfans
Twitter: https://twitter.com/BrookSyers
Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=brook+syers
Amazon.co.uk: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/278-8066672-7301656?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=brook+syers
Barnes & Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/brook-syers?csrfToken=5Zv7qSsnGITOfBR8LIrfu6ekdqSpEXls&store=allproducts&keyword=brook+syers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts! Or just say hi!

Sorry about the Capatcha! I hate it too, but too much spam lately!